Approximately 100 Elekta brachytherapy users and U.K. and Ireland Elekta personnel convened at London’s Institute of Physics in October to participate in the company’s annual Brachytherapy Users Meeting, UK & Ireland. An increasingly important treatment option for individuals with cancer, targeted and precise brachytherapy enables doctors to treat their patients’ cancer from the inside – either as a standalone therapy or combined with external beam techniques.
Symposium attendees are all users of brachytherapy solutions manufactured by Nucletron, an Elekta company, whose brachytherapy afterloaders, applicators and treatment planning software systems are used by 60 percent of hospitals worldwide.
The annual conference featured presentations on a wide variety of brachytherapy applications, including brachytherapy for cancers of the skin, breast, prostate and cervix. Talks of particular interest included:
- Evolution of TRUS [transrectal ultrasound] HDR Prostate Brachytherapy Using Oncentra Prostate (v4) by Peter Bownes, of St. James’s Institute of Oncology (Leeds, U.K.)
- Early Follow Up Data for Patients Treated with Interstitial HDR Brachytherapy for Breast and Prostate Cancer, by Orla Brosnan, Mater Private Hospital (Dublin, Ireland)
- An Audit of the First 25 Patients Treated using 3D Image Guided Brachytherapy (3DIGBT) for Cervical Cancer at CCO, by Louise Gately, of Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology (Clatterbridge, U.K.)
- MRI Brachy Planning at The Royal Marsden, by Katy Taylor, of The Royal Marsden (London)
Arjen van’t Hooft, Elekta’s Vice President Brachytherapy Solutions, Region Europe, Africa, Latin America gave a talk titled “Brachytherapy: Future Developments,” which included information on connectivity with Nucletron’s microSelectron Digital afterloader.
“This added connectivity allows the treatment record and chart information – in addition to dose and structure sets – to be part of the complete patient record, saving time, simplifying workflow and creating a paperless flow of brachytherapy practice information,” he says.
The Elekta brachytherapy users meeting was very well received among participants, van’t Hooft adds, judging by some of the comments:
“The meeting was very well organized and I particularly enjoyed the practical product demonstrations,” says Nadia Salama, Southend University Hospital.
“The users conference had a nice mix of clinical and physics topics,” adds Karen Bew, Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. “It was also good to have many Elekta representatives there to join in the discussions.”
Leave a Reply
- Elekta-Equra Health Partnership to Increase South African Cancer Patients’ Access to Radiation Therapy
- Visit Elekta at PTCOG in Essen, Germany
- Elekta Announces Latest Leksell GammaPlan Connectivity with MOSAIQ Oncology Information System
- Kettering Medical Center Acquires Elekta’s Versa HD Radiotherapy System
- Elekta to Highlight New MOSAIQ OIS Functionality at ASCO Annual Meeting
- Schedule a MOSAIQ Demo at ASCO 2013
- Elekta Debuts Versa HD Makes at Korean Society of Radiation Oncology Annual Meeting
- Save the Date for the 2013 Elekta Australasian User Meeting
- Puerto Rico’s Caribbean Imaging and Radiation Therapy Center Orders Elekta’s New Versa HD System for Treatment of Cancer Patients
- Webinar: Advances in lung SBRT planning utilizing radiobiological planning with Elekta’s Monaco®
- AAPM July 29, 2017[…]
- AES December 1, 2016[…]
- ASTRO October 17, 2015[…]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion Advanced Program for Stereotactic Radiosurgery September 8, 2015Date: 2015-09-09 to 2015-09-11 Calendar Link: Location: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States Description: Objective To further enhance the participant’s knowledge of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion and its advanced applications in the field of stereotactic radiosurgery. Specific focus will be placed on Gamma Knife surgery with or […]
- AANS May 1, 2015[…]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Applications Introductory Program November 30, 2014Date: 2014-12-01 to 2014-12-04 Calendar Link: Location: Elekta, Stockholm, Sweden Description: Objective To make users confident in the operation, care and maintenance of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion. The course will focus on radiation physics, dosimetry, stereotaxy for Gamma Knife surgery, quality assurance (QA), technical information and treatment plannin […]
- JASTRO annual meeting November 22, 2014The 2013 JASTRO Annual Meeting Description Description text goes here. […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Applications Introductory Program November 9, 2014Date: 2014-11-10 to 2014-11-13 Calendar Link: Location: Elekta, Stockholm, Sweden Description: Objective To make users confident in the operation, care and maintenance of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion. The course will focus on radiation physics, dosimetry, stereotaxy for Gamma Knife surgery, quality assurance (QA), technical information and treatment plannin […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Upgrade Program November 3, 2014Date: 2014-11-04 to 2014-11-06 Calendar Link: Location: University of Pittsburgh, Center for Image-Guided Neurosurgery, United States Description: Objective To receive aspects of clinical and technical training for handling new features of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion, when upgrading from previous models. Training on the dynamic workflow of Leksell GammaPla […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion / 4C - Introductory Program November 2, 2014Date: 2014-11-03 to 2014-11-07 Calendar Link: Location: University of Pittsburgh, Center for Image-Guided Neurosurgery, United States Description: Objective To obtain knowledge about the practical aspects of stereotactic radiosurgery using Leksell Gamma Knife. Principles of radiation physics and radiobiology, that apply to single-session, focused, small volu […]