University Hospital La Timone is among the world’s elite centers whose experience in Gamma Knife® radiosurgery spans decades and whose treated patient volume surpasses 10,000. This summer, La Timone, will celebrate its 20th year as a Leksell Gamma Knife user, continuing its progress toward 12,000 patients treated in the world’s first facility to operate two of Elekta’s most sophisticated radiosurgery platform, Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™.
On January 9, clinicians at La Timone treated the first patient on their second Perfexion system. The site of the world’s first Perfexion in 2006, La Timone has been performing Gamma Knife surgery since 1992 and has operated four different versions of Gamma Knife, widely recognized as the gold standard for brain radiosurgery.
With its two Perfexion systems, La Timone will treat as many as 10 patients each day, toward a predicted total exceeding 1,200 patients in 2012, according to Jean Régis, M.D. La Timone neurosurgeon and Gamma Knife program director.
Gamma Knife radiosurgery is a gentler alternative to traditional brain surgery for illnesses such as metastatic disease, which is cancer that has travelled to the brain from elsewhere in the body. With pinpoint accuracy, the system delivers up to thousands of low-intensity radiation beams to one or more targets in a single session. Perfexion provides even greater speed and ease of use than previous models.
Perfexion streamlines radiosurgery
It was the Perfexion system’s planning speed and ability to streamline radiosurgery – in addition to an ever-increasing workload – that convinced La Timone officials they needed to replace its Gamma Knife 4C with an additional Perfexion, Prof. Régis says.
“As our activities continued to increase we were working longer hours of operation and it was putting a burden on the team,” Prof. Régis says. “With two Perfexion systems running, we end the day much earlier. In addition, the percentage of patients with brain metastases is increasing dramatically – more so than any other indication – and in this group the number of mets per patient also is increasing significantly.”
Read more at: http://www.elekta.com/press/4643d00f-636c-43c8-a0da-cf08e5986b92/radiosurgery-pioneer-university-hospital-la-timone-is-world-s-first-to-acquire-second-leksell-gamma-knife-perfexion.html.
Leave a Reply
- Elekta-Equra Health Partnership to Increase South African Cancer Patients’ Access to Radiation Therapy
- Visit Elekta at PTCOG in Essen, Germany
- Elekta Announces Latest Leksell GammaPlan Connectivity with MOSAIQ Oncology Information System
- Kettering Medical Center Acquires Elekta’s Versa HD Radiotherapy System
- Elekta to Highlight New MOSAIQ OIS Functionality at ASCO Annual Meeting
- Schedule a MOSAIQ Demo at ASCO 2013
- Elekta Debuts Versa HD Makes at Korean Society of Radiation Oncology Annual Meeting
- Save the Date for the 2013 Elekta Australasian User Meeting
- Puerto Rico’s Caribbean Imaging and Radiation Therapy Center Orders Elekta’s New Versa HD System for Treatment of Cancer Patients
- Webinar: Advances in lung SBRT planning utilizing radiobiological planning with Elekta’s Monaco®
- AAPM July 29, 2017[…]
- AES December 1, 2016[…]
- ASTRO October 17, 2015[…]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion Advanced Program for Stereotactic Radiosurgery September 8, 2015Date: 2015-09-09 to 2015-09-11 Calendar Link: Location: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States Description: Objective To further enhance the participant’s knowledge of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion and its advanced applications in the field of stereotactic radiosurgery. Specific focus will be placed on Gamma Knife surgery with or […]
- AANS May 1, 2015[…]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Applications Introductory Program November 30, 2014Date: 2014-12-01 to 2014-12-04 Calendar Link: Location: Elekta, Stockholm, Sweden Description: Objective To make users confident in the operation, care and maintenance of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion. The course will focus on radiation physics, dosimetry, stereotaxy for Gamma Knife surgery, quality assurance (QA), technical information and treatment plannin […]
- JASTRO annual meeting November 22, 2014The 2013 JASTRO Annual Meeting Description Description text goes here. […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Applications Introductory Program November 9, 2014Date: 2014-11-10 to 2014-11-13 Calendar Link: Location: Elekta, Stockholm, Sweden Description: Objective To make users confident in the operation, care and maintenance of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion. The course will focus on radiation physics, dosimetry, stereotaxy for Gamma Knife surgery, quality assurance (QA), technical information and treatment plannin […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion - Upgrade Program November 3, 2014Date: 2014-11-04 to 2014-11-06 Calendar Link: Location: University of Pittsburgh, Center for Image-Guided Neurosurgery, United States Description: Objective To receive aspects of clinical and technical training for handling new features of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion, when upgrading from previous models. Training on the dynamic workflow of Leksell GammaPla […]
- Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion / 4C - Introductory Program November 2, 2014Date: 2014-11-03 to 2014-11-07 Calendar Link: Location: University of Pittsburgh, Center for Image-Guided Neurosurgery, United States Description: Objective To obtain knowledge about the practical aspects of stereotactic radiosurgery using Leksell Gamma Knife. Principles of radiation physics and radiobiology, that apply to single-session, focused, small volu […]